Medieval dating

29-Mar-2020 07:04 by 9 Comments

Medieval dating

They were thought to be lost at sea for thousands of years, but several Roman and medieval settlements have been discovered along the Humber estuary.

medieval dating-63medieval dating-74

Many of the buildings on the street today date back to the late fourteenth and fifteenth century (around 1350-1475).Large quantities of pottery, in addition to lost remains of buildings and structures, were found at Pensthorpe, a site located near Welwick village.Pensthorpe dates from the 14th century, and was thought to have been destroyed by flooding.It is still possible to see some of the original butcher’s meat-hooks attached to the shop fronts.Lacking modern-day sanitation facilities, there was a constant problem of how to dispose of the waste produced by the slaughter of animals in the city.The habitat is to compensate for rising sea levels and counterbalance man-made developments and flood defences on the Humber.

Mr Kemp continued: 'There's an extensive array of prehistoric Iron Age and Roman settlement remains – small villages, pocket farms and the field systems around that.'We can see through those the signs of a heavily occupied landscape that we'd previously suspected but not seen.'A Roman settlement uncovered in the dig showed the most signs of development, including field systems.

The dig took place along the Humber estuary in east Yorkshire.

The study found evidence of remains of lost building and structures at Pensthorpe, near to Welwick Village, and a Benedictine Priory south of the village of Skeffling But they returned to the low-lying coastal areas to exploit wetland resources.

While the areas are recorded in historical data, the sites were previously thought to have been lost to coastal erosion and rising sea levels.

Scroll down for video Archaeological digs revealed evidence of Roman settlement activity in the higher areas of the site, and medieval settlement activity in the lowlands closer to the shore.

The pavements are raised either side of the cobbled street to form a channel where the butchers would wash away their offal and blood twice a week.